Sunday, May 31, 2015

Just a little Neutral Fabric purchase....

Before all the neutral fabric purchases begin, let's enjoy some colorful stitching, shall we? 
On the notorious birthday weekend, which believe it or not, the posts will keep on coming as I have lots to share, I visited Artistic Artifacts in Alexandria VA.  I took time out from my shopping spree to visit with some women meeting at the store to stitch together. 
The artist working on this piece is Suzanne Langsdorf (I can send you her email addy if you want) and she graciously discussed process and color with me as I oooohed and aaaaahed over this slow stitching masterpiece. 
Then I shopped and this store is a CANDY store for people like me! Fibers, paints, fabric, one of a kind items galore.


If you haven't noticed I tend to purchase fabric with saturated color so if there is any lacking area of my stash it's neutrals.This butterfly print grabbed my attention. I do like a graphic design... but also it could be colored in... heh heh

 then there was this packet of fabric, a stencil with words I like in a large format. HA! I NEEDED that!

Some ink pads with light colored ink.

Some Stewart Gill metallic paint, soon to be discontinued in most of the art supply stores I visit.

Here is a peek at the fabric bundle I got for 24 bucks. I thought they were all quarter yards but they are different sizes, about 2 1/3 yards total of some unusual prints.
 So let the creations begin...

11 comments:

Colleen said...

you... neutrals ? hard to believe ;) I have done some overdyeing on some tone-on-tone with procion dyes that worked well on some but not other fabrics - I should post about that sometime. Your stitching looks great !
Colleen @ piecemakerquilts.wordpress.com

Mary in Boulder said...

What a cool store! Wonder if it's new or I just missed it when I was in MD. It's definitely on the list to check out when I visit. Loved Judy's blog also. It'll be fun to see what you do with your new neutral fabrics.

Jenny K. Lyon said...

Nothing like a neutral to make those saturated colors sparkle! Love the work shown of Suzanne Langsdorf. What fun you are going to have with all your new toys!

sonja said...

i think you can still get Stewart Gill from Art Cellar on line.Thanks for sharing artist. what great stash you got there. at some point i think everyday should be celebrated with art and goodies. i'm there!!

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

I LOVE those graphic prints especially the butterflies and the clocks an oh the newsprint did I mention I used to manage a newspaper and... well you get the is idea.

gayle said...

Neutrals are like adding baby's breath to a bouquet of roses - makes the roses that much wowier. (I was a florist for awhile. Talk about playing with color...)

Kathy said...

One of my all time favorite stores! Son moved back to MI, but it was always a highlight of my visits. Worth a visit whenever you get to that area...and they have such interesting classes, too. I'm sure you had a great time there!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Those are great neutrals! I'm sure they'll get a bit of color on them before it's all said and done!

Lisa said...

I love looking at Judys shop online and she was at the NYC quilt show I went to in April. Just wish it was closer to upstate NY!

Kaja said...

I'm sure you'll do your own special thing with the neutrals! I love the Suzanne Langsdorf piece.

Mari said...

Lovely prints! I'll bet you'll have some fun mixing all your purchases!