Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Working out a challenge

It's Spring, and despite the yellow pollen a creative soul's mind turns to paint.
Because of chemical sensitivities I must paint outside on the porch, you see. 
Please take my word for it as I hope to write and article about the experiment so I won't share it today, but it's pretty cool.

The above scrap was stamped with permanent fabric ink (scribbles)
The next scrap had fusible on it already...
and I wanted to test the stamps before using on my painted work from today.

This scrap is about 4 inches square and ready to use on a project. The fabric is celadon green, one of my fave colors but it didn't show well here.

These are stamps from four different collections. The cityscape didn't print well on the rough weave of the scrap but you can tell what it is in person. I went back with prisma-color pencils and ink pens to enhance the ones on the painted pieces (not shown).

I am making progress on my guild challenge due in less than two weeks. My body is not functioning well today so I can't sew.


 Instead I chose a font and size for my original poem to go on the front. I painted the face of my woman. I chose a precious hand dye for the border.

It is lovely in my mind's eye... 

And I painted. Discovering a new technique is exciting,  as is seeing color grow on fabric.


13 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

OHHHHHH!!!!!!! I NEED that face. I have a monochromatic piece to do for next month and it would be just so totally Perfect!!! I can't draw a lick. Hmmm.....I wonder if I could find something to print a face with?????

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Oh, and I meant to add that I can definitely see the cityscape!

Snowcatcher said...

Wonderful work! Can't wait to see what you do with them. Hope you feel well enough to sew soon. I understand completely; sometimes my back gets really angry with me when I sit too long...

Kaja said...

That celadon piece is beautiful. I hope your body lets you sew again soon, but at least you are painting, designing, thinking.

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna!
That city scape has so many possibilities!
Looks all so creatively fun!
Yes, a change is as good as a rest!
You're so talented in so many ways!
Take care,
Joanne

PugMom said...

I always love to see what you come up with! I love your rubber stamping...you are so creative!

Jacqueline said...

Yahoo I got your blog via email today.

LA Paylor said...

oh good! This new technology is beyond me!

Lisa said...

Looking forward to seeing the end product 😊

Michele McLaughlin said...

I like this post! I never really thought to use art journaling techniques to fabric! Love that face, serene and somewhat timeless! Can't wait to see it!
Hugs, Mickie

Shannon said...

Are those rubber stamps? I never thought of using them on fabric. What a cool idea. Is there a special kind of inkpad to use?

LA Paylor said...

yes there is. I've been blogging about it, and the most colorfast are Scribbles and VersaMark made for fabric. LeeAnna

quiltedfabricart said...

I love how your face came out! Looking forward to see what you do with all of these projects