Monday, February 10, 2014

V-day three

Violet Valentine Vase (c) LAPaylor
 Ahh, my Valentine for the year 2000. Seems like yesterday...
The flowers are done without fusible, a technique I use in so many situations. They are imaginary but remind me of flowers I like. I don't let reality get in my way too often.
 Here is a closer detail shot showing the layering and arranging that goes on.
I obviously liked metallic thread from the start. Actually I used old time metallic thread with cotton through the eye of my hand quilting needle on my third bed quilt back in the 80's. Hard core!

I love flowers, and find their colors infinitely deep and mysterious. I study them, seeing shades of yellow, gold, orange, pink and white in a seemingly yellow flower. It is exciting.
 The free motion quilting is boring now, but at the time it was different from the calm meandering being done by people saying you may not cross over a line. This quilt was exhibited widely at the time, and won many awards, introducing me to a lot of people, and the guide for many classes teaching the fanciful flower technique. Most people in class finish in one or two days, so it's a fast one to do. I show others done with this technique in lectures as well.
I took the little chandelier ornaments that hung on the pink Christmas tree, and hung them from stuff on the mantle for February.

I am currently working on this year's quilt. I printed out the haiku, love it, but the ink didn't set on the fabric well this time. I tried painting over it, but now it might be too messy looking. I need to get a move on, y'all.
I am drawn to the Olympics curling and skating coverage though...
LeeAnna

15 comments:

bearbuster said...

Hey! We are all waiting to see this year's quilt ... no Olympics for you :) Seriously, all your quilts are so beautiful and original. You are simply amazing. Perhaps I need to create one of Buster ...... Pat

Maria said...

Gorgeous ! Love the flower technique ! Can't wait to see your heart day quilt for this year!

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna!
Great colours for the Violet Valentine Vase quilt! Didn't those people learn Quilting rule number 5? There are no rules!
Love the flowers!
Looking forward to this years valentines quilt!
Take care,
Joanne

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

This is just lovely! :)

France Nadeau ❅ inspiration imagination creation said...

I love the way you used threads to add depth to the petals. I haven't seen your piece before the stitching/quilting but I'm sure it made a big difference.

Linda Cline said...

This is beautiful! The carefree attitude you used to create them has really brought the flowers to life.

heather said...

I love watching curling too. It is hypnotic.

Lorna McMahon said...

Oh Leanne! Your fanciful flowers are beautiful - your talent is incredible. Can't wait to see what you are working on for this Valentine's Day!

Mayleen said...

I really like the colors in the flowers - especially the orange, red, yellow, hot pink, purple flowers. At least, those are the colors I saw and they are happy colors for me!

Angie in SoCal said...

Okay - you need to put these all in a patten book - they are all so gorgeous!

Lynette said...

This one really makes me smile. :) How do you do you do the applique without fusible? (Or do you just mean a typical turned-edge applique?)

LA Paylor said...

This is not turned edge. It is not fused and still raw edge applique. It's a technique that's fast and basically cotton sticks to cotton. You can use a drop of Roxanne's glue baste it in a couple spots if you want, but the technique allows for organic movement in a piece instead of flattened fused areas. I'd gladly come teach this to a group, just contact me!!
It's really fast y'all
LeeAnna

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

So very lovely! Love the idea of raw edge and no fusing!

Margarita Korioth said...

What a lovely piece. Wonderful idea to add a *heart* shape as a vase!

Janie Bettis said...

This lovely quilt is so creative and unique. I had to Pin It for inspiration. The quilting also adds a lot of dimension.